INGREDIENTS1 medium or 3/4 of a large (Imperfect) eggplant
1 large clove garlic, grated or finely minced
1 lemon, juiced
2 Tbsp Tahini (sesame seed paste/butter)
Optional: 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, parsley or basil, chopped
olive oil (for roasting)
- Preheat oven to high broil (or medium if you have the ability) and position a rack at the top of the oven.
- Slice your eggplant into 1/4 inch rounds and sprinkle with sea salt and place in a colander in the sink to drain any excess liquid. After 10 minutes, rinse slightly and then pat dry between two towels.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Roast for 5-10 minutes, turning once or twice, until the eggplant is softened and golden brown. Remove from pan, stack and wrap the rounds in foil to lock in moisture – wait 5 minutes.
- Peel away most of the skin of the eggplant and add flesh to a food processor. It should be soft and tender and the skin should come off easy.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, a pinch of salt and mix until creamy. Add herbs last and pulse to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with pita and/or pita chips and veggies. Will keep covered in the fridge for several days.
Freezing Fruit (Pears/Apples) for Smoothes/Future Use