VP OF OPERATIONS
Imperfect Produce is a mission-driven startup that is creating America’s first major consumer brand around “ugly” produce. One in five fruits and vegetables grown in America never make it off the farm due to tiny cosmetic defects that do not affect quality. Imperfect is on a mission to find a home for these misshapen fruits and veggies in people’s fridges by selling them for a 30-50% discount with a lovable, hip brand. We offer the most affordable and environmentally-friendly produce option, starting with our weekly produce delivery service across the Bay Area and Los Angeles. In addition to building a scalable solution to fight food waste, our business model also generates extra revenue to California farmers.
Imperfect has raised significant investment and has been featured in major publications, including the New York Times, PBS NewsHour, NPR, Washington Post, Food and Wine, and the front page of the SF Chronicle. We have put together a team of the leading food waste entrepreneurs in the country and are working with a team of world-class advisors, including Doug Rauch, former President of Trader Joe’s.
About The Job
As VP of Operations, you will play the critical role of making sure we continue to deliver high quality produce and stay within budget. The job is a combination of planning and executing the operations side of Imperfect’s new market launches and overseeing the day to day of the Operations department. We are looking for a seasoned operations executive who thrive in our fast-paced and fun-loving culture while taking our company-wide standards and operating practices to the next level.
Launching in New Markets
- Research the strategic landscape of prospective new markets. Create and present cost benefit analyses of various launch scenarios
- Create attainable new market launch timelines and roadmaps. Communicate them to various department heads and external partners to get feedback and buy-in
- Own the hiring, training and evaluation of GMs and other new team members in the new markets we launch in
- Represent Imperfect in key meetings and negotiations with key external partners and vendors, leveraging the company-wide purchasing power for the best possible rates
- Support and manage the General Managers of each facility. Set quarterly and annual KPI goals for the various GMs that align with the CEO’s priorities and the company strategic plan and allow for continuous growth within each market.
- Own all key Operations KPIs
- Periodically visit with each of the GMs and their teams to understand their challenges and opportunities, help solve problems and motivate them around the company vision and strategic priorities
- Report out to the CEO and the rest of the C-Suite to give a clear picture of how each aspect of our operation is doing
- Take ownership over the Capex budget and ensure that facilities, coolers, equipment and vehicles are smart, strategic purchases that stay within our means. Ensure the company is properly maintaining and inventorying all assets.
- Manage Imperfect’s relationship with our co-packer and our last mile delivery partner and take the lead in contract negotiations. Ensure that partners receive feedback and continually improve. Own the company-wide KPIs around co-packing and delivery.
- Oversee the IT systems, software packages, phone, internet, computers, etc. across facilities to make sure all our people are set up to effectively communicate
- Oversee the internal People Operations team at the HQ
- Supervise and continually improve all aspects of supply chain logistics from grower to customer. Analyze cost efficiencies, food safety and cold
chain solutions to optimally transport, store and handle supply from the grower's dock to the customer's doorstep.
Food Safety, Warehouse Safety and Culture Within Operations
- Own food safety at all our operations, ensuring that we meet and exceed produce industry best practices and all local, state and federal regulations around food safety.
- Own warehouse safety at all of our facilities. Develop SOPs and a training protocol that goes above and beyond all requirements while being practical enough to implement
- Own the culture and People Operations/HR practices at each of our packing facilities.
- Take a proactive approach to building a great working culture and ensuring each GM has the resources s/he needs to support all employees.
- Support the Chief Innovation Officer in prototyping, testing and rolling out new initiatives such as a pack-to-light system, new SKU addition and regional shipping
- Take the lead on implementing a new ERP system for the company
- Continually assess any operations problems that could be fixed with the development of proprietary internal tools software and coordinate with the Director of Product to ensure that any new tools built meet the needs they were intended to.
- You run a tight ship. You love being the bottom line of a complex and important operation and having the buck stop with you to turn something good into something great
- You’ve risen through the highest ranks of operations over the course of your career and are ready for your next big challenge
- 5+ years experience in a COO/ VP of Operations / Director of Operations role
- You’re a master at process optimization techniques and process flow improvements
- You understand all parts of a logistics business – purchasing, operations, marketing/sales
- You never miss a chance to negotiate
- You’ve successfully managed large teams and have even built a few lifelong friendships built through work
- Extensive knowledge of inventory management and operations software
- You’re a great all around communicator
- You're energetic and excited about Imperfect
- You’ve overseen the opening of new facilities
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to problem-solve and think on your feet (A.K.A. a mental juggler)
- You excel at independent, unsupervised work
- Experience in the fresh produce industry
- Experience in a General Manager or other warehouse management role
- Experience in sourcing, especially in the food industry
- Experience in a high-growth, venture-backed company
Details of position
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer. Full-time exempt position. Ideal start date is March 1. Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package.
Position is based out of our Emeryville headquarters. Periodic travel to Los Angeles, the Central Valley and other areas. Interviews given on rolling basis as applications come in.
Send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to CEO Ben Simon at email@example.com